Sunday, January 4, 2009
For the last assignment of the semester, we had to do a book cover of our choice. I chose the young adult novel "The Luxe" as I figured it was a subject matter I had not yet attempted (as in teenage girl books)! Needless to say, I feel like it is one of my most successful images of the semester and I am really pleased with the overall feel of the painting as well as the typography. It basically solidified my happiness with doing books and portraits for my thesis.
Speaking of thesis, I might as well let the cat out of the bag. I will be doing book covers of "classic/popular" literature as well as illustrations of the authors. So far the list of the books is as follows:
- A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
- Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
And other possible but depending on time possibilities:
- Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
- Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
So as you can see, I have quite a bit of reading/drawing/conceptualizing ahead of me. Not to mention one final fact about this project. That I will fully design the dust jackets for the covers (including the typography) and rebind paperback editions of the books to have the dust jackets wrapped around at my thesis. It's going to be a lot of hard work but damnit, I am determined.
And here's a grouchy typewriter lady for giggles. Hope everyone had an amazing holiday. One semester to go!
Posted by Sarah Marino at 10:17 PM